- Blackfriars Theatre
- The site on which this theatre was erected had been for thirty-five years the office of the Revels during Sir Thomas Cawarden's tenure of the former monastery of the Blackfriars, granted to him by Edward VI.The site of the Old Revels Storehouse adjoining the Pipe Office with free ingress and egress was conveyed to James Burbage 1595 for £600, and the premises converted by him into the Blackfriars Theatre (H. MSS. Com. 7th Rep. 537).Ordered to be closed 1619, but remained open for many years after, and not finally suppressed until 1642. Pulled down 1655.Playhouse Yard occupies part of the site.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.